Brayden and Laura: Bihar India
Global Impact Fellows With Unite for Sight

We just returned from Bihar India with a group called Unite for Sight to volunteer at the AB Eye Institute in March 2010. Unite for Sight is a non-profit organization that aims to prevent blindness by applying best practices for health care. This program works with local ophthalmologists and optometrists to provide eye exams, eye surgery, and outreach to poverty stricken communities in developing countries like Ghana, India, and Honduras. While abroad, we screened patients for cataracts, glaucoma, and other eye diseases. We participated in sight restoring cataract surgeries. Thanks to the support of SO many people, we have raised more than $3200 to support 64 cataract surgeries! This blog is meant to keep all those who have contributed to this effort informed and help them see where their donations are going.
Banner generated at Pimp-My-Profile.com
We want to personally thank EVERYONE who has contributed to our fundraising effort for cataract surgeries in Patna, India.
Feel free to check out the success on our fundraising page!

Monday, December 14, 2009

The Beginning!

We decided to start this blog to document everything that we are doing to prepare for our experience in India with Unite for Sight.

I (Brayden) am a student at the University of Utah and am about to complete my bachelors degree. I am planning on continuing my education in pursuit of a career in optometry. I was searching the web for volunteer opportunites during class at the University of Utah last week, and stumbled upon www.uniteforsight.org. I scanned the page and was captivated by the pictures and the impact to combat blindness that they are having on poverty stricken communities around the world.

When I got home for lunch, I was excited to call Laura and tell her all about it. I jokingly suggested to her that we could try to "plan to volunteer abroad" one day, and to my amazement, SHE WAS SERIOUS ABOUT DOING IT! (I don't go anywhere without my Lu!)

There is a lot of preparation that goes into even applying to become a Global Impact Fellow with Unite for Sight. We have spent several days looking over requirements for eligibility, preparing our essays, contacting our references, and figuring out where all the funding is going to come from.

Here is an update on our progress:
1) Goal list made

Unite for Sight
Dates/Places:
1. 3/20/09 to 4/3/09, SLC to Bihar India (Airport Patna) (PAT)
Goals:
  • Raise $3200.00 (must donate on website)
  • Collect 1000 pairs of reading glasses or sunglasses
2) Application process almost finished

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Laura and Brayden,

    This is so exciting! I am looking forward to following you on your journey. Also, if you are interested, we have a blog... markandjenelyn.blogspot.com

    Love you both,
    Jenelyn

    ReplyDelete