Hey it's Laura, you haven't heard from me yet. Last Friday we heard great news....Brayden got accepted!!! Now you may be concerned why only Brayden has been accepted...my application has been taking a little longer than Brayd's due to some technical difficulties (literally everything that could go wrong with the computer did...), but I am on track to have everything set and done tomorrow morning and am hoping to hear similarly good news very soon, which is good since Brayden only has a 5 day window to commit to going, and he doesn't want to go without me! :) So hopefully all will go well and I can follow up with some similarly good news within the next couple days!
A little more background on us in case you don't know, Brayden and I first met back in high school and got married almost two years ago. We love having fun together, and have been talking since we first got married about going somewhere exciting, but between both of our crazy schedules barely had time to get away over the weekend, let alone longer. We had been talking about trying to fit in some volunteering, but wanted it to be something that appealed to both of our interests/careers. (I have my master's in social work and Brayden is an optician and is studying to become an optometrist) One day at work, I got an e-mail from Brayd sending me the link to Unite for Sight. I think he was kind of joking, but thinking it would be cool, but after looking at the website I was hooked and called him up saying I seriously wanted to go. It seemed like a great fit for a combination social worker/optician team.
Anyways, we seriously looked into it and analyzed whether it would be possible (social worker's and students don't make that much) and decided it was worth it. We are now both so excited to go! Unite for Sight sends volunteers to Honduras, Ghana and India. Brayden wondered about Honduras, I thought Ghana, and then we both agreed on India. We watched the video for Bihar India (which conveniently is the video posted on this blog...) and were so impressed by the work the Sinha family does that we knew this was where we wanted to go. I can't believe how hard these people work, it is incredible to me. So we talked to our bosses about taking time off, and got going on the application process. Now Brayden has been accepted and I'm hoping my acceptance will follow shortly and then we can officially start! We are excited!
Brayden and Laura: Bihar India
Global Impact Fellows With Unite for Sight
Global Impact Fellows With Unite for Sight
We just returned from Bihar India with a group called Unite for Sight to volunteer at the AB Eye Institute in March 2010. Unite for Sight is a non-profit organization that aims to prevent blindness by applying best practices for health care. This program works with local ophthalmologists and optometrists to provide eye exams, eye surgery, and outreach to poverty stricken communities in developing countries like Ghana, India, and Honduras. While abroad, we screened patients for cataracts, glaucoma, and other eye diseases. We participated in sight restoring cataract surgeries. Thanks to the support of SO many people, we have raised more than $3200 to support 64 cataract surgeries! This blog is meant to keep all those who have contributed to this effort informed and help them see where their donations are going.
We want to personally thank EVERYONE who has contributed to our fundraising effort for cataract surgeries in Patna, India.
Feel free to check out the success on our fundraising page!
Feel free to check out the success on our fundraising page!

No comments:
Post a Comment